Thursday, December 31, 2009

ladder of success

Climbing the ladder of success

Hurrying along fast and furiously

Though I have no idea where

It shall lead and in the end take me

Nevertheless I hurry along feverishly

No time for a meaningful conversation

My nose is now set to the grindstone

Forget being weary. No time to groan.

I work late night hours before going home

My family it seems I no longer even know

Yet my professional career is most dear

I don't get much time off during the year

To go on vacation or elicit new inspiration

I'm ready to bleed as a workaholic indeed

I'm important and meet my company's need

Never do I hesitate to work or do a good deed

My incessant restlessness my employment

Does silence, sedate, distract, and feed

Because after all, the American way is greed

We've got to go out, buy, sell, and acquire

Of consumerism, the people must never tire

For we are consumed by our fiery desires

Contentment we can't possess, neither know

We are forever enslaved to the vain show

Comparing and competing with each other

Disregard considering ourselves equal

As if we were loving sisters and brothers

The exterior and outward has taken over

What we wear, drive, and where we live

Charitable contributions we don't give

It's me, myself, and I who I forever love

No time for spirituality, nor God above

Onward I march, press, push, and shove

Paying my bills, life has lost its thrill

I've forget as I boy what I dreamed of

Continually climbing up the ladder of success

Deceivingly, I look like I'm all put together

Yet I assuredly know I am one big mess

Look beyond that which I say and profess

Dumbfounded and leaning on the wrong building

I've climbed this ladder of reckless success

Only to discover it is an illusion without basis.

-Paul Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment